Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Russia receives no request from Ukraine on Savchenko handover

April 13, 19:35 UTC+3 MOSCOW
"As of April 13, the Ukrainian Justice Ministry sent no request on handing over convict Savchenko to Ukraine," the Russian Justice Ministry says
1 pages in this article
© Vyacheslav Prokofiyev/TASS

MOSCOW, April 13. /TASS/. The Russian Justice Ministry has not received any request from Kiev on handing over to Ukraine former pilot Nadezhda Savchenko, found guilty of killing two Russian journalists and sentenced to 22 years in jail, the ministry’s press service told TASS on Wednesday.

"As of April 13, the Ukrainian Justice Ministry sent no request on handing over convict Savchenko to Ukraine," the ministry said.

On March 22, a court in southern Russia found Savchenko guilty of directing the Ukrainian army’s artillery fire in eastern Ukraine that killed Russian journalists Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin and also illegally crossing Russia’s border. She was sentenced to 22 years in prison and a fine of 30,000 rubles ($440). As Savchenko said earlier, she does not recognize the court’s verdict but wouldn’t appeal against it.

Savchenko declared a dry hunger strike, after the sentence came into force on April 5.

Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko said late last month that he was ready to swap Savchenko for two Russians kept in detention in Ukraine - Yevgeny Yerofeyev and Alexander Aleksandrov - as soon as their own trials were over.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама