BAKU, April 3. /TASS/. The situation along the line of contact in the zone of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains tense, with continued clashes between the parties, Vagif Dyargyakhly, a spokesman for the Azerbaijani defense ministry told TASS on Sunday.
"Combat operations in the conflict zone in Karabakh have not stopped. Currently, fighting continues in the Terter, Agderinsky and Fizuli directions," he said.
The situation along the line of engagement of the conflicting parties in Nagorno-Karabakh deteriorated dramatically overnight to April 2. Following fierce armed clashes at the contact line, the parties to the conflict accused each other of violating truce.
The conflict between neighboring Armenia and Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh, a disputed territory that had been part of Azerbaijan before the Soviet Union break-up but was mainly populated by Armenians, broke out in the late 1980s.
In 1991-1994, the confrontation spilled over into large-scale military action for control over the enclave and some adjacent territories. Thousands left their homes on both sides in a conflict that killed 30,000. A truce was called between Armenia and the Nagorno-Karabakh republic on one side and Azerbaijan on the other in May 1994.