KIEV, March 6. /TASS/. Russia’s embassy in Ukraine presented a note of protest to the Ukrainian foreign ministry in connection with the attack on the embassy’s building the night to Sunday, the embassy’s press secretary Oleg Grishin told TASS.
"Regarding this incident, we have presented a note of protest to the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry," he said.
The press secretary said, at night people in camouflage smocks, wearing facial masks, armed with baseball bats, attacked vehicles of the Russian embassy in Kiev.
"They damaged greatly three cars," the press secretary said. "Besides, they threw several blasting cartridges onto the territory of the Russian diplomatic mission."
He said the attackers were clearly well equipped and the attack had been staged.
The Ukrainian media said earlier on Sunday the embassy’s security had made several preventive shots in the air. Some sources say the attack was a protest against the court against Nadezhda Savchenko in Russia. Savchenko, 34, who has been held in Russian custody since July 2014, went on a hunger strike for 83 days in March of 2014.
Russia’s prosecutor has called for a 23-year prison term and a fine of 100,000 rubles ($1,400) for Savchenko. She is charged with offenses under three articles of Russia’s Criminal Code - "Murder", "Attempted Murder" and "Illegal border crossing." Russia’s investigators say Savchenko joined the Aidar militant battalion and in June 2014 conducted covert surveillance and direction of artillery bombarding targeting a checkpoint in the much-troubled Lugansk region. The settlement was full of civilians, including three Russian journalists. Two Russian journalists - Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin - from the All-Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network (VGTRK) were killed in the shelling.