Search engine Yandex denies transfer of Ukrainians' personal data to Russian intelligenceWorld May 30, 0:11
At least 137 people injured in Moscow storm — sourceWorld May 30, 0:05
Ukraine's security service accuses search engine Yandex of leaking personal info to MoscowWorld May 30, 0:03
Kamaz to supply at least 1,000 trucks to Philippines by 2020Business & Economy May 29, 21:49
Moscow ready to offer clarifications over incident with Montenegrin MPRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 29, 21:09
Moscow mayor says Monday's hurricane in Moscow 'unprecedented'Society & Culture May 29, 20:56
Moldovan president slams government’s decision to expel Russian diplomatsWorld May 29, 20:52
Macron lashes out at Russian news agency Sputnik, RT channel over campaign coverageWorld May 29, 20:11
Macron says no international problem can be solved without RussiaWorld May 29, 19:51
UNITED NATIONS, February 7. /TASS/. The United Nations Security Council has gathered for an extraordinary meeting over North Korea’s launch of a long-range rocket.
Heading to the meeting on Sunday, diplomats form the Security Council member states expressed concern over Pyongyang’s actions as violating Security Council resolutions.
France’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Francois Delattre, said it was North Korea’s yet another provocation that poses a threat to the international nuclear non-proliferation regime. He said urgent and tough measures were needed to respond to such actions.
Japan’s envoy, Motohide Yoshikawa, noted North Korea had ignored numerous warnings and its launch was a violation of the Security Council resolutions, regardless of its purpose, as the use of ballistic technologies was a flagrant violation of resolutions.
He called on the United Nations Security Council to demonstrate it would not tolerate such actions. In response to China’s calls for a dialogue with Pyongyang, the Japanese diplomat said the time for dialogue had been missed and now pressure was needed.
China’s representative, Liu Jieyi, refrained from comments, saying only his country was "very worried" over the situation.
A North Korean carrier rocket earlier on Sunday took to the target Earth orbit Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite, KCNA reported, saying the spacecraft was launched from the Sohae pad in the country’s western region. North Korea "will continue in future taking satellites to the Earth orbit," the agency said. The local media reported the launch was made at 09:00 local time (03:30 Moscow time). Pyongyang reported that the spacecraft reached the orbit in 9 minutes and 46 seconds after the launch. The satellite makes a loop around the Earth in 94 minutes. North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un signed an order on the launch on Saturday, February 6.
Meanwhile, South Korea’s National Intelligence Service said the launch is to be considered as a test of a combat intercontinental ballistic missile.
On January 6, North Korea conducted an underground nuclear test, the fourth one in the past ten years. The United Nations condemned these actions and began work on a resolution which is expected to extend the existing sanctions. Talks on the document are underway.
The United Nations Security Council resolutions prohibit Pyongyang to engage in any activities linked with nuclear and ballistic technologies. The North Korean authorities however are refusing to abide by the ban to launch long-range rockets claiming it violates their sovereign right to peaceful use of outer space.