CHISINAU, January 25 /TASS/. Protesters in Chisinau have refused to hold a dialogue with the Moldovan authorities and have pledged to insist on government resignation and early parliamentary elections, Renato Usatii, the Our Party leader and the mayor of the Moldovan city of Beltsy, said on Monday. He turned down a call for negotiations made by parliamentary Speaker Andrian Candu.
"A dialogue with the incumbent authorities is impossible because they are illegitimate. We are going to insist on the implementation of our conditions to disband the parliament and hold early parliamentary elections," Usatii told TASS.
He said that the protests’ leaders had already met Candu once but that meeting was fruitless because Candu does not solve anything. "That was our mistake and we are not going to repeat it. We do not see the point in holding meetings, which lead to loss of time," Usatii said. According to him, an ultimatum, which the protesters have given to the authorities, expires at 17:00 (18:00 Moscow time) on January 28.
"They have enough time to discuss our demands with oligarch Vlad Plakhotnyuk, who is standing behind the ruling coalition and who is making all the decisions. If the authorities accept our demands, we will be able to hold early elections," Usatii concluded.
It was quiet in the streets of Chisinau and in protesters’ tent camps on Monday. The opposition announced a three-day pause in the protests at a 10,000-strong rally in Chisinau last Sunday. The representatives of two leftist parties - the Party of Socialists of Igor Dodon and Our Party of Renato Usatii; and the right-wing Civil Platform DA (Dignity and Truth) - said that despite various political views, they were united in the struggle against the authorities and had come to the rally without party symbols.
For his part, parliamentary Speaker Andrian Candu described the demonstrators’ demands as impossible to implement. He said the deputies considered the government of Pavel Filip to be legitimate. "Though it was appointed and approved in difficult conditions, the law was not violated," the speaker said.
The authorities promised to prosecute the protests’ leaders for blocking the streets of Chisinau last Sunday. "If proven guilty, they will either face a fine or six years in prison," a Chisinau police source told journalists on Monday.