CHISINAU, January 21. /TASS/. Moldova’s Prosecutor-General’s Office has launched a criminal case over riots near the parliament building, the office’s press service said in a statement on Thursday.
"The investigation team is taking all steps envisaged by the legislation for conducting an impartial and full investigation of the case and identifying all those involved in committing acts of violence and provocations," the statement said.
Speaker of the Moldovan parliament Andrian Candu earlier said that the authorities intended to bring to account the protesters who ran riots in the parliament building. "They have exceeded the permissible limits. Last night the damage was assessed in parliament, the investigators studied video footage, provocateurs who fanned tensions were revealed," he said. According to the latest reports, 15 people were injured, both protesters and police officers.
During the protests a scuffle between police and protesters occurred outside the parliament building. After several clashes hundreds of protesters supporting the Dignity and Truth (DA) civic platform broke into the building. Moldova’s Interior Ministry said policemen’s gear had been damaged.
According to Moldova’s legislation, those guilty of organizing mass unrest and taking part in it could face up to eight years in prison.