WSJ: Syrian army is about to retake militant-controlled east AleppoWorld December 06, 8:48
OSCE chief says trip to Crimea possible after consultations with Moscow and KievWorld December 06, 8:25
Erdogan signs bill to ratify Turkish Stream projectBusiness & Economy December 06, 8:19
Russia, India to hold joint naval drills on December 14-21Military & Defense December 06, 7:36
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft team up to fight terrorism contentSociety & Culture December 06, 6:51
Russian hospital shelling 'cold-blooded murder' - Defense MinistryWorld December 06, 5:32
Some 100,000 Aleppo residents freed from rule of terrorists — Syria’s UN envoyWorld December 06, 5:04
Over 1,000 Syrian settlements join reconciliation process - Russian defense ministryWorld December 06, 3:27
Italian president asks Renzi to delay resignation until budget passedWorld December 06, 3:24
MOSCOW, December 5. /TASS/. A woman was killed in a village near Gorlovka in Ukraine’s war-torn Gorlovka in the east, the Donetsk News Agency said on Saturday referring to a source at the defence ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR).
"We have informed OSCE monitors the northern districts of Gorlovka were shelled late in the afternoon on December 4," the source said, adding one woman was killed in the shelling.
The incident happened between villages Zaitsevo and Zhovanka, the source said.
The mission’s representatives will visit the site to register the violation of ceasefire there, the source said. At the same time the Joint Coordination Centre for Ceasefire Monitoring will make their inspection, too.
The past night in cities and towns of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) along the front line was calm, the local authorities said on Saturday.
The officials in the Petrov, Kuibyshev and Kirov districts confirmed there had not been shelling overnight.
No fire was registered in Makeyevka, Gorlovka or Yasinovataya, in the Novoazov, Telman and Starobesh districts.
Kiev’s military opened fire twice on the territory of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People’s Republic (LPR), spokesman of the republic’s people’s militia told the LuganskInformCentre on Saturday.
"At 14:20, from the Troitskoye settlement they fired from AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher the Kalinovo settlement, and at 18:50 from the same position they opened fire on Kalinovo from tank guns," the agency quoted the spokesman.
According to the agreement reached at peace talks in the Belarusian capital city Minsk, a complete ceasefire was declared on the contact line in Ukraine’s south-eastern Donbass region starting from September 1, however, the Ukrainian forces have systematically violated it. In particular, they regularly shell the outskirts of Donetsk and Gorlovka. The DPR Defence Ministry said previously that the situation in the republic has recently worsened. The number of shelling attacks on the northern and western outskirts of Donetsk and on the city suburbs has increased dramatically over the past month.
The Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine comprising senior representatives from Russia, Ukraine and the European security watchdog OSCE on February 12, 2015, signed a 13-point Package of Measures to fulfil the September 2014 Minsk agreements. The package was agreed with the leaders of the Normandy Four, namely Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine.
The Package of Measures, known as Minsk-2, envisaged a ceasefire between Ukrainian government forces and people’s militias in the self-proclaimed republics in Donetsk and Lugansk starting from February 15 and subsequent withdrawal of heavy weapons from the line of engagement. The deal also laid out a roadmap for a lasting settlement in Ukraine, including local elections and constitutional reform to give more autonomy to the war-torn eastern regions.
On September 29, a supplement to the Package of Measures on Implementing the Minsk Agreements from 12 February 2015 was agreed at a meeting of the Contact Group on settlement the Ukrainian crisis, which was organised in Minsk. The supplement envisages withdrawal of tanks, artillery weapons of less than 100mm calibre, and mortars of equal to or less than 120mm calibre to a distance of 15 kilometres from the contact line in Donbass. On September 30, the document was signed by DPR head Alexander Zakharchenko and LPR (Lugansk People's Republic) head Igor Plotnitsky. In accordance with the reached agreement, tanks are withdrawn first, followed by artillery weapons of less than 100mm calibre and mortars. The first stage should start two days after the complete ceasefire and finish in 15 days. The second stage will take 24 days to complete, the parties agreed. The withdrawal was to begin in the "North" sector on the LPR territory and to continue in the "South" sector in DPR. The whole process of withdrawal was expected to take a total of 41 days.
On October 2, leaders of Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine held talks in Paris in the so-called Normandy format. Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the leaders discussed implementation of the Minsk Agreements, including withdrawal of armaments, elections, amnesty, gas issues and other crises, including air services. The Kremlin spokesman confirmed that the Minsk peace deal has no alternative.
On November 6, the Normandy Four foreign ministers agreed that humanitarian situation in Donbass is not improving, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said after talks with his counterparts from Germany, France and Ukraine in the Normandy format.