Erdogan cancels visit to Kazakhstan due to Istanbul terrorist attack - newspaperWorld December 11, 11:15
The deal of buying Rosneft's 19.5% stock is outside sanctions - sourceBusiness & Economy December 11, 11:12
Syrian military supported by the Russian aircraft repel IS attacks near PalmyraWorld December 11, 11:10
Five people die in fire in Tatarstan-emergencies ministrySociety & Culture December 11, 11:04
Turkey declares one day of national mourning over Istanbul terrorist attackWorld December 11, 7:10
Turkish authorities impose media ban on coverage of Istanbul explosionWorld December 11, 3:01
Erdogan says Istanbul terrorist attack causes fatalitiesWorld December 11, 2:52
Istanbul explosions leave 15 dead, 69 wounded — TV channelWorld December 11, 2:38
Three settlements in Syria join cessation of hostilities — Russia’s Defense MinistryWorld December 11, 2:34
CHISINAU, September 25. /TASS/. Moldova’s Dignity and Truth (DA) Civil Platform, the initiator of ongoing mass protests in Chisinau’s central square, pledged on Friday it would not hamper protest actions of other parties, the Party of Socialists and Our Party, in front of the parliament building.
"If they want to share our demands, they are free to do that but they must be sincere. If they seek political profits, we will nor cooperate with them," Andrei Nastase, a DA leader, said, adding that the Dignity and Truth would not claim the right to picket the parliamentary building. "Since we have already put tents [in Chisinau’s central square] to accommodate the protesters, we will not put more," he said.
Earlier, Socialist leader Igor Dodon, who leads the Moldovan parliament’s biggest faction, called on the DA Platform to pool their efforts. "We have common goals. If we fight against each other, nothing good would become of it," he said, adding that his party agreed with Our Party to abstain from using party symbols during protest rallies. "Poverty has no nationality and Moldova’s people has found itself impoverished because of oligarchs. MY call is addressed to all, Russians, Romanians, the Gagauz, Bulgarians. This is our homeland. Let us make concrete steps together to free it," Dodon said. He also called on the DA leaders who carried out their protests under the European Union’s flags to drop geopolitical oratory.
Mass protests have been going on in Moldova since early September. Two big rallies involving thousands of protesters were held on September 6 and 13. The rally on September 6, the biggest one in the recent years, adopted a resolution demanding resignation of the country’s authorities and early parliamentary elections. The protesters set up a tent camp of about 300 tents in Chisinau’s central square. Last week, protesters staged pickets at the buildings of the prosecutor general’s office, the national anti-corruption centre and other state institutions demanding resignation of their top officials.
Other opposition forces share these demands. Socialists and Our Party plan to organize a protest rally in Chisinau’s central square on Sunday. Next Sunday, the square will be the venue for a DA rally. Opposition leaders pledge they will use only peaceful means to achieve their goals.
Large-scale protests erupted in Moldova in the spring 2015 after the media had reported a theft of about one billion US dollars from three Moldovan banks, which nearly went bankrupt. Back then, Moldova’s ruling Alliance for European Integration coalition cane under severe criticism from foreign donors, including the European Union and the World Bank, which subsequently suspended their financing of the republic.