Ukrainian Army units shell Donetsk Republic in first hours of newceasefireWorld June 24, 5:19
Politician says Russia vs Mexico football game will be interesting to watchSport June 23, 21:11
Kyrgyz president sees revival of relations with Russia as major result of his tenureWorld June 23, 20:49
Ex-premier says initiative to impeach Poroshenko stems from Ukraine’s economy collapseWorld June 23, 20:20
This week in photos: Confederations Cup opening and summer solstice celebrationsSociety & Culture June 23, 19:11
Turkish ambassador to Russia: Moscow and Ankara to join efforts in war on terrorWorld June 23, 18:45
Ukraine’s finance ministry files appeal to London Court against Russia in $3 bln debt caseBusiness & Economy June 23, 18:42
Ukrainian society tired of Poroshenko’s policy — expertRussian Politics & Diplomacy June 23, 17:58
Deutsche Welle sees Russian international broadcasters as threat to European ideasWorld June 23, 17:34
MOSCOW, September 23. /TASS/. Ukrainian government forces have violated the current ceasefire in the country’s east four times over the last 24 hours, the People’s Militia of the self-proclaimed Lugansk People’s Republic said on Wednesday.
"Between 6.00am on September 22 and 6.00am on September 23, two ceasefire violations have been registered," LuhanskInformCenter quoted a representative of the People’s Militia as saying.
Firing was reported at 6.50am on Tuesday in the settlement of Lozovoye, the representative said, adding that territory was attacked by small weapons from the direction of the Luganskoye settlement controlled by government forces.
At 6.35pm, Kiev forces fired six shots from an automatic grenade launcher at the settlement of Kalinovka, the representative added.
No casualties among civilians or militias were reported.
Kiev and representatives of the self-proclaimed republics of Donetsk and Lugansk agreed at talks in Minsk, Belarus, on August 26 to end shelling from September 1, the day the new school year was to begin. The ceasefire has been generally observed since then.
There has been only one crude violation of the truce when late at night on September 4, the village of Aleksandrovka, in the Petrovsk district of Donetsk, came under shelling which killed one civilian and injured two others.
Comprehensive ceasefires have been declared twice over the past year, but sporadic clashes between the two forces continued. Both sides have blamed the other for the violations.
A February 12 peace deal struck in Minsk, Belarus, by leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France envisaged a ceasefire between Ukrainian forces and people’s militias starting from February 15.
This was to be followed by withdrawal of heavy weapons from the line of military engagement by at least 15 kilometres (9 miles), prisoner release and agreement for international observers to monitor the truce.
Based on September’s stillborn Minsk peace protocol, the deal also laid out a road map for a lasting settlement in Ukraine, including local elections and constitutional reform to give the war-torn eastern regions more autonomy.
On July 18, the Donetsk and Luhansk republics announced their plans to unilaterally withdraw tanks and armoured vehicles with a caliber of less than 100mm to a distance of at least three kilometres away from the line of military engagement.
The Donetsk republic said at the end of July it had pulled back weapons under 100mm calibre from the contact line, leaving tanks only in "hot spots" to the north of Donetsk and in Debaltsevo. The Lugansk republic said it had also completed the withdrawal of weapons from the contact line, leaving tanks and armoured vehicles only on positions near the Schastye settlement.
The republics’ self-defence forces also expressed their readiness to pull back weapons from "hot spots" if Kiev took a similar action.
According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), more than 6,800 people have been killed in fighting in eastern Ukraine since the conflict began and the death toll continues to rise.
The U.N. office said in its last month’s report that overall, more than 2.3 million Ukrainians, including internally displaced persons (IDPs) and those who sought refuge abroad, had been uprooted by the conflict since April 2014.