MOSCOW, August 30. /TASS/. The Ukrainian military shelled the territory controlled by the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) 15 times over the past twenty-four hours, the DPR Defense Ministry said on Sunday.
"The republic’s armed forces registered 15 truce breaches by the Ukrainian military in the past twenty-four hours," the Donetsk News Agency quoted the DPR Defense Ministry as saying.
The Ukrainian army subjected some areas of Donetsk to artillery and mortar fire. Also, the populated areas of Spartak, Sakhanka and Zaitsevo were shelled, the DPR Defense Ministry said.
Meanwhile, the heads of Donetsk local district administrations said earlier on Sunday that the past night had been relatively calm in the areas of the Donetsk People’s Republic adjacent to the disengagement line.
"Everything is calm, the night passed calmly, Head of the Kuibyshevsky District in Donetsk Ivan Prikhodko told the Donetsk News Agency.
The past night was also calm in Gorlovka, which had been shelled intensively recently.
"The night was calm and, thanks God, everything is normal," a representative of the Gorlovka mayor’s office said.
The ceasefire between the Ukrainian conflicting sides started from midnight on February 15. The ceasefire regime is stipulated in a package of measures for the implementation of the accords signed in Minsk on February 12.
The Lugansk and Donetsk regions proclaimed the establishment of the Lugansk and Donetsk People’s Republics after local referendums in May last year. The situation in east Ukraine has aggravated considerably in the past few weeks. The number of shellings by the Ukraine army has increased and reports have again appeared about victims among civilians.
According to the UN data, over 6,500 people have been killed as a result of Kiev’s military operation in the country’s east and another 16,200 have been wounded. Over 5 million residents of the Donbass region need humanitarian assistance.