Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

North Korea urges UN meeting as tension mounts on Korean peninsula

August 22, 2015, 2:21 UTC+3 UNITED NATIONS
In a letter sent to the UN Security Council, North Korea’s envoy to the UN Ja Song Nam blames Washington and Seoul for the mounting tensions
1 pages in this article
© AP Photo/Jon Chol Jin

UNITED NATIONS, August 22. /TASS/. Pyongyang on Friday called for an urgent UN Security Council meeting amid escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula.

In a letter sent to the UN Security Council, North Korea’s envoy to the UN Ja Song Nam blames Washington and Seoul for the mounting tensions and says the DPRK "has never fired any bullet or shell on south Korea."

"In the light of the brink-of-war situation on the Korean peninsula created by international provocations made by the United States and south Korea which constitute a serious threat to international peace and security, I strongly request that the issues of south Koreas’ shelling on the DPRK and psychological warfare campaigns and of the U.S.-south Korea joint military exercises be placed on the Security Council agenda, and that a meeting of the Security Council be urgently held in accordance with Articles 34 and 35 of the Charter of the United Nations," the letter obtained by TASS reads.

In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Charter and respective rules, a North Korean representative should be allowed to participate in the meeting and to make a statement, the diplomat wrote.

On August 19, North Korea sent a letter to the UN Security Council requesting to convene an urgent meeting amid the US-South Korean military exercises that Pyongyang says pose a threat to the international peace and security.

Diplomats say so far no UN Security Council meetings have been scheduled.

The situation on the Korean peninsula seriously deteriorated on Thursday after the North and South exchanged artillery fire in the western part of the Demilitarized Zone. Seoul claims the North opened fire the first and the artillery shelling was aimed at the South’s propaganda loudspeakers installed nearby. Pyongyang rejects the allegations.

On August 20, North Korea forwarded an ultimatum to South Korea to stop broadcasting propaganda and dismantle equipment within the next 48 hours and threatened military action. The deadline expires on Saturday morning. Seoul said it would not meet Pyongyang’s demands.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама