Diplomat blasts US media reports on Russia's alleged arms supplies to TalibanRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 25, 21:39
Putin, Iraqi vice-president discuss possible supplies of T-90 tanksMilitary & Defense July 25, 21:18
Sports minister hopes for Russia’s membership reinstatement with IAAF before 2018Sport July 25, 20:47
The highlights of 2017 FINA World ChampionshipsSport July 25, 19:37
IAAF to hear report on Russia’s reinstatement ahead of 2017 Athletics World ChampionshipSport July 25, 19:25
EU Council to discuss Nord Stream 2 project in SeptemberBusiness & Economy July 25, 19:13
Berlin preparing common European response to Siemens turbines supplies to Crimea — sourceBusiness & Economy July 25, 18:49
Finnish president: Dialog with Putin is direct and clearWorld July 25, 18:22
Summer surprises: Arctic swelters in heatwave, while resorts soak in rainBusiness & Economy July 25, 18:03
MOSCOW, August 16. /TASS/. Ukrainian forces resumed artillery shelling of the town of Gorlovka in the evening on Saturday, the administration told Donetsk News Agency on Sunday.
"The artillery shelling of the town is underway now. According to preliminary reports, the town is shelled from heavy weaponry from the Artemovsky district. Explosions are heard," the administration said.
No information is yet available on whether anyone was injured in the shelling.
It was reported earlier that Gorlovka was intensively shelled at night on Thursday and Friday. One civilian was killed and three more were injured in the shelling. Head of the town administration Roman Khramenkov said that "yesterday and in the morning today six-eight shelf of 152mm caliber hit the 88th section."
Frontline settlements of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) are also subject to continuous shelling. Head of the administration of Novoazovsky district Anatoly Yanovsky told Donetsk News Agency that "gunfire is heard all day in the Bezymenny settlement, while explosions are also heard near the settlements of Krasnoarmeyskoye, Oktyabrskoye, Primorskoye." He added that the settlements were shelled from Mariupol.
"There is no information yet about victims or damages, but it is impossible to reach people because of problems with cellphone connection," Yanovsky noted. He said that residents of the settlements that came under fire are leaving their houses and moving to safer parts of DPR.
Earlier today, head of the Sakhansk administration told Donetsk News Agency that Ukrainian forces shelled the settlements of Sakhanka and Kominternovo at the frontline of the Novoazovksy district.
Gorlovka became one of the "hot spots" at the contact line in Donbass. Shellings there are registered almost daily, primarily during nighttime. According to the town administration, 164 civilians were killed and 500 more were injured in shellings from January until July in 2015.
Frontline settlements of the Novoazovsky district are also subject to continuous shellings of the Kiev forces. As of August 3, 13 civilians were killed and 33 more were injured in shellings since the beginning of the year. Around 300 families were left homeless, while around 600 residential houses were damaged or destroyed.
Ukrainian forces shelled Donetsk and Makeevka in the evening on Saturday, Donetsk authorities told Donetsk News Agency on Sunday.
"Kuybyshevsky and Kievsky district came under fire. Mortars of 120mm caliber were used [by Ukrainian forces]. Information on damages and victims is being verified," Donetsk Mayor Igor Martynov said.
It was reported that at least two people were injured in the Kuybyshevsky district. According to Donetsk News Agency, "loud cannonade can be hears in different parts of the city now."
Press secretary of the Makeevka Mayor’s Office Anna Osinsksaya the town is also being shelled from mortars. "Several hours ago, Makeevka was shelled from Grad [multiple rocket launcher systems], now Ukrainian forces are using mortars. Cannonade can be heard across the town. Information on damage and victims is being verified," Osinskaya said.
Ceasefire is envisaged by the Minsk agreements on the settlements of the situation in Ukraine. The Minsk accords were signed on February 12, after negotiations in the so-called "Normandy format" in the Belarusian capital Minsk, bringing together Russian President Vladimir Putin, French President Francois Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko.
The Minsk accords also envisage weaponry withdrawal, prisoner exchange, local elections in Donbass, constitutional reform in Ukraine and establishing working sub-groups on security, political, economy and humanitarian components of the Minsk accords.
The Ukrainian forces and the self-defense forces of the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk republics have repeatedly accused each other of violating ceasefire and other points of the Minsk agreements.