MOSCOW, August 3. /TASS/. Initialing of the agreement on withdrawal of weapons of a caliber under 100mm in Donbass has been postponed due to the position of the Ukrainian side, Denis Pushilin, the representative of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) in the Contact Group on Ukraine, told the Donetsk News Agency on Monday.
"DPR and LPR representatives are not initialing the document. It has been frustrated by the Ukrainian side," he said.
The Contact Group’s working subgroup on security is continuing its meeting in the Belarusian capital Minsk.
Ahead of the meeting, representatives of the self-proclaimed republics in Donetsk and Lugansk said they were ready to continue the talks as long as it was needed to reach real results.
The Contact Group and its working subgroups held their meetings earlier on Monday. Results of the Contact Group meeting will be announced later.
The Minsk accords were signed on February 12, 2015 after 14-hour negotiations between the leaders of Normandy Four (Russian President Vladimir Putin, French President Francois Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko) in the Belarusian capital city of Minsk. Concurrently, Minsk hosted a meeting of the Contact Group on Ukrainian settlement.
A 13-point Package of Measures on implementation of the September 2014 Minsk agreements in particular included an agreement on cessation of fire from February 15, withdrawal of heavy armaments, as well as measures on long-term political settlement of the situation in Ukraine, including establishment of working subgroups as priority tasks.
The ceasefire however has been repeatedly violated.