Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Activist of Yerevan street protests hospitalized with back pains

July 29, 2015, 22:16 UTC+3
1 pages in this article

YEREVAN, July 29./TASS/. One of the leaders of protests in Armenian capital Yerevan over rising electricity prices, David Sanasaryan, has been hospitalized with back pains.

Some participants in a protest rally say the 31-year-old activist fell flat on his back on the asphalt when police were dragging him away from a pedestrian crossing that he was trying to block.

The riots in Armenia erupted in mid-June after the commission for regulation of the country’s public services had agreed to increase public electricity tariffs by 16% to meet the request received from CJSC "Electric Networks of Armenia" distribution company.

The measure which is to take effect on August 1 caused a wave of indignation among ordinary Armenians who assumed that the electricity price hike would automatically increase prices for essentials and many services.

The country’s opposition later took advantage of the situation and forced people into streets, what resulted in the dispersal of the Yerevan protests by police on June 23. As a result, 18 people, including 11 police officers, were hurt, and 237 people were detained but later released. However, protesters almost immediately resumed peace protests.

On June 27, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan said that the government was ready to suspend the hike temporarily and cover the price rise out of state funds rather than increase customers’ bill until experts did not complete the audit of the Electric Networks of Armenia distribution company.

That split the protesters’ camp in two: those who accepted the government’s proposal moved to Freedom Square outside the Yerevan Opera Theatre; the other half of more radically minded protesters who rejected the government concession continued to stay on Marshal Bagramyan Avenue.

On June 29, protesters in a picket in Freedom Square made the decision to stop street protests, choosing "a new format of fight". On July 6, police cleared Marshal Bagramyan Avenue of barricades and protesters, after which protests moved to Freedom Square.

Show more
In other media
Partner News