CHISINAU, June 26. /TASS/. Moldova’s authorities have offered the government of Transdniestria to resume negotiations to resolve the economic problems that have emerged around the breakaway republic, the Moldovan government’s Bureau of Reintegration said in a statement released on Friday.
"A truly effective solution is only the responsible and constructive dialogue and the continuation of the "five plus two" talks (involving Moldova, Transdniestria, OSCE, Russia, Ukraine and EU and US observers). It provides more opportunities for the authorities of Moldova and foreign partners to help overcome economic and other problems in the Transdniestria region. The dialogue is underway with partners on the talks to find solutions to overcome the economic crisis in the region," the statement says.
A source in the Moldovan government told TASS that the document had been prepared in response to a letter from Transdniestria Foreign Minister Nina Shtanski to Dafina Gercheva, Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in Moldova, which referred to the economic blockade of the breakaway republic by Moldova and Ukraine. Tiraspol said in this letter that it would sever all contacts with Moldova, if Chisinau did not abandon its policy of pressure. It accuses Moldova’s government of "creating obstacles for Transdniestria’s imports and exports, including refusal to issue phytosanitary certificates and production licenses." The republic’s Foreign Ministry said this "entailed a drop in budget revenues and the spread of poverty in the region." Tiraspol expressed the hope that the participants in the "five plus two" talks would take steps to reduce tensions at an early date.