Putin offers condolences to UK over terror attack in ManchesterRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 10:10
Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attackWorld May 23, 9:30
Police say death toll in Manchester Arena explosion reaches 22World May 23, 9:18
Hollywood actor Steven Seagal to get free land in Russia's Far EastSociety & Culture May 23, 9:06
Ariana Grande tweets she is 'broken' over blast following her concert at Manchester ArenaWorld May 23, 8:03
British PM to chair meeting of emergency response committee after Manchester blastWorld May 23, 7:53
Anti-corruption fight in Russia is in earnest, says upper house speakerRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 6:24
British prime minister calls Manchester blast 'appalling terrorist attack'World May 23, 5:52
At least 19 people confirmed dead in Manchester Arena blastWorld May 23, 4:40
MOSCOW, May 22. /TASS/. Moscow is concerned about growing activity of terrorists and their seizure of some settlements in Iraq and Syria, Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told TASS on Friday.
"The activity of the-so called anti-IS coalition led by the United States has failed to produce result as of yet, and has not affected abilities of the Islamic State to expand their trans-border Caliphate," he said.
The deputy foreign minister urged "all international and regional partners to consolidate efforts to counter terrorism and violent extremism".
"Decisions on this are fixed in corresponding resolutions of the UN Security Council," he said. These decisions "are the basis on which the international community should continue efficient fight against violent extremism," he added.
Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Friday also said that Russia is concerned with Islamists’ advances in Iraq and Syria where the towns of Palmira, Idlib and Ramadi have come under rebel control.
"We are concerned with growing terrorist activities and the seizure of several vital populated localities, including the cities of Ramadi [Iraq] and Jisr-as-Sugur [Syria]," Lukashevich said.
"The actions of the US-led anti-ISIS coalition have failed to affect the ability of the "Islamic State" to further expand its trans-border ‘caliphate’," the Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman stressed.
According to the diplomat, destruction of historic monuments in the Syrian city of Palmyra would mean an act of unpardonable vandalism.
"As for Palmyra (now seized by the Islamic State), serious concerns over the fate of world cultural heritage sites, in which the Syrians take natural pride, add to the aggravated situation," he said. "We'd consider their destruction as an unpardonable act of vandalism, encroachment on general human values and an insult to civilization."
Palmyra, a place located some 240 km away from Damascus, has unparalleled historic sights dating back to antiquity. UNESCO has listed it as a site of Outstanding Universal Value.
Units of the Syrian Army abandoned it on May 20 and took defensive positions on its outskirts. Civilian population had been evacuated earlier. Also, the government forces managed to take the most precious statues and bas-reliefs out of the city.