MOSCOW, May 9. /TASS/. Ukrainian military action has violated ceasefire arrangements in war-torn eastern territory some 43 times over the last 24 hours, a Defence Ministry spokesman for the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic said on Tuesday.
Forces loyal to Kiev continue to use heavy weapons to shell local residential areas and suburbs, the spokesman said, according to a Donetsk News Agency report.
Shelling has been recorded near Donetsk’s Petrovsky district, the towns of Gorlovka and Yasinovataya, as well as the settlements of Spartak, Shirokino and Zhabichevo, the official added. Information about casualties among civilians or militias was being verified.
Meanwhile, the headquarters of Kiev’s military operation in east Ukraine said the Ukrainian troops’ positions had been shelled 28 times before 6:00 p.m. on Friday
A February 12 peace deal struck in Minsk, Belarus, by leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France envisaged a ceasefire between Ukrainian forces and people’s militias starting from February 15.
This was to be followed by withdrawal of heavy weapons from the line of military engagement by at least 15 kilometres (9 miles), prisoner release and agreement for international observers to monitor the truce.
Withdrawal was due to start no later than the second day after the truce came into effect, for completion within two weeks.
Buffer zones were to be established of at least 50 kilometres (30 miles) for artillery of 100mm calibre or more, 70 kilometres for multiple rocket launch systems and 140 kilometres for the heaviest rockets and missiles.
The Donetsk republic has reiterated that the success of the truce depends entirely on the Ukrainian side.