MOSCOW, April 24. /TASS/. Russian participants in a rally timed for the 70th anniversary of victory over Nazi Germany have been denied permission to visit Reichstag although an application had been filed in advance, the group’s spokesman, ex-world chess champion Anatoly Karpov told TASS.
Last Saturday a group of one hundred enthusiasts left Moscow on an international motor rallye. The motorcade took to the road at the Poklonnaya Hill war memorial in Moscow. The rally is to end on May 2 in Torgau, Germany, at the spot of the allied forces’ linkup on the River Elbe.
"The original plan was delegations from all anti-Hitler coalition allies would meet at Reichstag. Delegations from the United States, Britain and France were there. We were barred from the event, although the Russian embassy had filed an application in advance. We were told that they have no application or other documents, which was rather strange to hear in such a country as Germany," Karpov said.
"The Russian embassy is now to lodge a complaint," he added.
Other motorcade participants said that at the entrance to the Reichstag they faced "aggressive escapades by Ukrainian citizens.".