MOSCOW, April 3. /TASS/. The Russian Embassy in Sanaa continues to work in the routine mode, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
"The Russian diplomatic mission in Sanaa continues to work in the routine mode and is ready to cooperate in organizing additional flights to evacuate people from Yemen," the foreign ministry said. "The embassy also hopes for the soonest normalization of the situation and resumption of political process," the ministry added.
Two Russian planes brought 284 evacuated people from Yemen to Moscow late on Thursday.
"We plan to organize the evacuation of citizens of Russia, CIS [Commonwealth of Independent States] countries and all other foreign national who want to leave Yemen in the nearest future, arrange additional planes," the embassy’s press secretary Timofey Bokov said. "We don’t know yet who it will be. Yesterday, our planes evacuated citizens of Poland and Canada from Yemen," he noted.
"There are 50-60 people on the lists of evacuation from Sanaa at the moment," the press secretary said. "Some people refuse to leave the country. New lists will be made on Aden," he added. "We will help everybody who asks us to help," Bokov said. "The embassy staff will stay and continue working in the country," he said.
The situation in Yemen started to rapidly deteriorate at the beginning of last week. Shiite rebels gained control over large part of the country. Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi fled the country.
A coalition of Persian Gulf countries led by Saudi Arabia launched a military operation in Yemen and started delivering airstrikes at rebel positions in the country. The coalition is currently considering launching a ground operation in Yemen to oust Houthis.