Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

UN under-secretary-general: 500 people killed over two weeks of hostilities in Yemen

April 03, 2015, 5:46 UTC+3 UNITED NATIONS
Last week, Saudi Arabia’s Air Force, supported by Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, started bombing the positions of Shiite rebels in Yemen
1 pages in this article

UNITED NATIONS, April 3. /TASS/. More than 500 people have been killed as a result of hostilities in Yemen over the past two weeks, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said in a statement.

"Reports from humanitarian partners in different parts of the country indicate that some 519 people have been killed and nearly 1,700 injured in the past two weeks - over 90 of them children. Tens of thousands of people have fled their homes, some by crossing the sea to Djibouti and Somalia," said Amos, who is also emergency relief coordinator.

"Electricity, water and essential medicines are in short supply," she said.

"I am extremely concerned for the safety of civilians caught in the middle of fierce fighting in Yemen. I call on all parties involved to meet their obligations under international law and do their utmost to protect the ordinary women, children and men who are suffering the consequences of the conflict," Amos said.

"Those engaged in fighting must ensure that hospitals, schools, camps for refugees and those internally displaced and civilian infrastructure, especially in populated areas, are not targeted or used for military purposes," she said.

"Despite the grave dangers, United Nations agencies and humanitarian partners are coordinating with the Yemen Red Crescent and local authorities to deliver emergency health kits, generators so that people can get clean water, food and blankets," the statement said.

"Before this recent escalation in the violence, millions of Yemenis were already extremely vulnerable. I hope that peace, security and stability will be restored as soon as possible," Amos said.

Last week, Saudi Arabia’s Air Force, supported by Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, started bombing the positions of Shiite rebels (Houthis, supporters of the Ansar Allah movement) in Yemen.

The Arab coalition conducting an operation codenamed Decisive Storm aimed at returning President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and his government to power in the republic was joined by Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Pakistan and Sudan.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама