Senior Pentagon official calls for information strategy on RussiaWorld March 24, 8:42
South Korea warns North Korea may hold new nuclear test by end of MarchWorld March 24, 7:20
Russian-US experiment to simulate outer space mission named SIRIUSScience & Space March 24, 6:20
Russian research agency selects 10 bids in ‘Flying Car’ contestScience & Space March 24, 5:41
Belarus opens case into plotting riots, 26 suspects detainedWorld March 24, 4:30
Russia chooses new official Olympic kit brandSport March 24, 4:28
Police searching for another suspect in Russia’s ex-MP murder in KievWorld March 24, 2:45
Fourth victim of London attack dies in hospital — policeWorld March 24, 2:42
Ammo depot fire in Ukraine no threat to EU gas transit — companyWorld March 24, 2:40
KIEV, March 30. /TASS/. More than 30 weapons emplacements will be built along the Kharkov region’s border with the Lugansk region in eastern Ukraine, Kharkov region governor Igor Rainin told Ukraine’s television Fifth Channel on Monday.
"At the instruction of the Ukrainian president, we are to build weapons emplacements along the line of engagement in the Lugansk and Donetsk regions. The Kharkov region is to build 31 such emplacements along the border with the Lugansk region," he said, adding that the regional authorities had decided not to wait for budgetary financing and launch the construction at their own expenses.
"The cabinet of ministers has allocated financing, but naturally there is a certain procedure for transferring budgetary funds. This money will come later but we must start working right now. We have asked building companies to organize teams and begin the construction, without financing so far. Not a single construction company has refused," he said.
Rainin said that in all there would be 300 weapons emplacements along the frontline, most of them will be placed in the Kharkov, Zaporozhye and Dnepropetrovsk regions.
Earlier, Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister Gennady Zubko said the construction of fortification facilities in eastern Ukraine was to be over by mid-May. Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk pledged the government would allocate 860 million hryvnias /about 37 million U.S. dollars/ for that.
On March 9, Ukraine’s President Pyotr Poroshenko said Ukraine was reinforcing the system of defence in its eastern regions. "We are building a strong, deeply echeloned system of fortification structures in the east," he said. The press centre of the force operation said it was planned to build two defensive perimeters "to prevent enemy penetration into Ukraine’s territory." According to the press service, it was planned to build about 1,500 kilometres of trenches and communication trenches, more than 8,000 entrenchments for heavy weapons, more than 4,000 bunkers and a 60-kilometre-long fence of passive obstacles.