Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Kharkov region prosecutor confirms self-made bomb went off during Euro-Maidan march

February 22, 2015, 18:32 UTC+3 KIEV
1 pages in this article

KIEV, February 22. /TASS/. The explosive device that went off during a Euro-Maidan march in Ukraine’s eastern city of Kharkov killing at least two and injuring nine people was a self-made bomb stuffed with nails, Kharkov region Prosecutor Yuri Danilchenko said on Sunday.

"According to preliminary data, the remote control explosive device was placed in a bag. Trotyl was used as explosive agent," he said.

Earlier on Sunday, head of the Kharkov Main Department of Ukraine’s Security Service Alexander Pivovar said the explosive device "was a self-made bomb similar to the bomb that went off near the building of the Moskovsky court" on January 19, wounding 13 people.

A spokesman for the Kharkov health department said the blast had killed two and wounded nine people, of whom three were in serious condition.

Secretary of the Ukrainian National Security and Defence Council Alexander Turchynov said heightened terrorist threat regime had been imposed in Kharkov and an anti-terrorist operation had been launched following the blast. He said four suspected organizers of the blast had been detained and weapons had been seized from them, including a grenade launcher.

About 400 activists and members of public movements gathered with Ukrainian flags near the Kharkov Sports Palace to mark one year since Maidan protests in Kiev that eventually led to the toppling of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. The activists planned to march to Kharkov’s Freedom Square. When they were marching near the Marshal Zhukov metro station, an explosive device went off.

An investigation is underway.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама