MOSCOW, February 16. /TASS/. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in a telephone conversation with his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry confirmed Moscow’s readiness to act in concert with Cairo in the issues of counteracting terrorism threat, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
"The conversation focused on the barbaric murder of 21 Egyptian Copts committed by the militants of the Islamic State terrorist group," the ministry said, adding that the conversation was held at the Egyptian side’s initiative.
Lavrov "expressed deep condolences amid the tragedy and confirmed the readiness of the Russian side to act in concert with Egypt in the issues of counteracting terrorist threat."
In a new video released on Sunday, the militant group claimed to have beheaded Egyptian Coptic Christians who worked in Libya. The extremists took them hostage late last year and early this year near Sirte, Libya.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi addressed the nation last night, saying Cairo has the "right to respond" to killings of Egyptian citizens in Libya. "Egypt reserves the right to respond at the proper time and in the appropriate style in retaliation against those inhuman criminal killers," el-Sisi stressed.
Earlier on Monday, Egyptian aviation delivered airstrikes at Islamic State positions in Libya, Egyptian state television said.