VIENNA, February 9. /TASS/. The OSCE envoy for the Transdniestrian settlement process, Radojko Bogojevic, is due to visit Chisinau and Tiraspol on February 9-10 in preparation for the 5+2 talks, the organization said on Monday.
"Bogojevic is visiting Chisinau and Tiraspol for the first time this year to prepare the ground for the next round of 5+2 negotiations, which will be scheduled once the working groups and the meetings in the 1+1 format resume their work in 2015," the statement said.
The diplomat will meet with interlocutors from both sides during his trip to Tiraspol, Transdniestria, on February 9 and Moldova’s capital Chisinau on February 10.
The talks on Transdniestria in the 5+2 format (Moldova, Transdniestria, the OSCE, Russia, Ukraine and observers of the US and the EU) were suspended in September 2014. Tiraspol refused to resume the dialogue citing pressure from Chisinau.
Transdniestria, which has a mainly Russian-speaking population, broke away from Moldova following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Its relations with Moldova’s central government in Chisinau have been highly mixed and extremely tense at times ever since then.
In 1992 and 1993, the tensions erupted into a bloody armed conflict that claimed the lives of hundreds of people on both sides.