Currency converter
News Feed
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Powerful explosion occurs in Donetsk

February 09, 2015, 1:53 UTC+3 MOSCOW
The militia said it does not have information about those injured and damage caused by the blast
Material has 1 page

MOSCOW, February 9. /TASS/. A powerful explosion has rocked a western district of the city of Donetsk, the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic’s (DPR) militia told TASS by phone.

"The explosion occurred in the industrial zone in Donetsk’s Kuibyshevsky District. It was most likely the hit of an artillery shell," a militia spokesman said.

Eyewitnesses said the explosion could be heard in all districts of the city.

The militia said it does not have information about those injured and damage caused by the blast.

"Accurate data about what happened will be available by morning," the militia said.

Thousands have been killed and hundreds of thousands of people have fled Ukraine’s embattled east as a result of clashes between Ukrainian troops and local militias in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions during Kiev’s military operation, conducted since mid-April 2014, to regain control over parts of the breakaway territories, which call themselves the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s republics.

The parties to the Ukrainian conflict mediated by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) agreed on a ceasefire at talks on September 5, 2014 in Belarusian capital Minsk two days after Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed his plan to settle the situation in the east of Ukraine.

Since then, there have been numerous reports of violations of the ceasefire, which took effect the same day.

Ukraine’s parliament on September 16, 2014 adopted the law on a special self-rule status for certain districts in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions for three years. The law took effect October 18, 2014 but was then repealed by Kiev.

The Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine comprising representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the OSCE adopted a memorandum on September 19, 2014 in Minsk. The document outlined the parameters for the implementation of commitments on the ceasefire in Ukraine laid down in the Minsk Protocol of September 5, 2014.

The nine-point memorandum in particular envisioned a ban on the use of all armaments and withdrawal of weapons with the calibers of over 100 millimeters to a distance of 15 kilometers from the contact line from each side. The OSCE was tasked with controlling the implementation of memorandum provisions.

Показать еще
In other media