KIEV, January 23. /TASS/. All security structures in Kharkiv, in north-east Ukraine, have been put on high alert and the number of patrols has doubled, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on Friday.
“We should turn into a regime of ‘pre-emptive' strike. The number of patrols in the city has doubled. Patrols include policemen, the National Guard, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine and cadets from their universities. The personnel of the Security Service of Ukraine staff has joined the counter-terrorism efforts,” Avakov said.
Earlier in the day, Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk instructed commander of the National Guard Oleksandr Krivenko to call on people to patrol streets and protect citizens.
On Thursday, January 22, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Ukraine had pulled its reserve troops closer to the area of the force operation in its south-eastern regions.
“We have agreed our actions, reserves have been pulled,” Poroshenko said. “If the enemy doesn’t want to observe the ceasefire regime, we will give them a smack in the teeth.”