Envoy says Donetsk Republic won’t agree to leave DebaltsevoWorld October 20, 21:42
IIHF chief Fasel: Appointing ex-Olympian as Russia’s sports minister an 'excellent choice'Sport October 20, 21:37
Militants in Aleppo are disrupting ceasefire and hindering evacuation, Lavrov tells KerryRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 20, 21:25
Three Russian officers injured in gunmen's precision fire in SyriaWorld October 20, 21:09
Hungary’s foreign minister: Agreement between US, Russia only way to solve Syrian crisisWorld October 20, 20:38
Federal Guard Service refuses to comment on GPS problems near KremlinSociety & Culture October 20, 20:22
Lavrov: West lets Islamic State 'genie' out of bottle in Middle EastRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 20, 19:45
Five years since Colonel Gaddafi’s death, Libya still floundering in turmoilWorld October 20, 19:03
Senior Russian MP outraged by Charlie Hebdo’s cartoon over Orthodox center in ParisRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 20, 18:59
DONETSK, January 22. /TASS/. Thirteen people were killed and 20 others were wounded early on Thursday when a mortar shell hit a tram stop in Donetsk, in eastern Ukraine, local doctors told the official Donetsk news agency.
Earlier on Thursday, a defense ministry spokesman of the self-proclaimed Donetsk people’s republic, Eduard Basurin, said at least nine people died and another nine people were injured.
Doctors said most of those injured in the attack are in a critical condition. More people who happened to have been at the accident scene are seeking medical assistance.
The shelling occurred at around 8.30 a.m. local time (0530 GMT). Preliminary reports said the mortars were launched from a minibus. As a result, a trolleybus and a car caught fire.
The shelling comes shortly after the foreign ministers Russia, Germany, Ukraine and France discussed steps in Berlin on Wednesday to reach progress in resolving the Ukrainian crisis.
Ukrainian presidential adviser Yuri Biryukov said Sunday that the Ukrainian military had received orders to open massive fire on the positions of the militias in the military operation zone in the country’s south-east.
Kiev has de facto violated the “silence regime” which was introduced in Donbass on December 9. DPR’s leader Alexander Zakharchenko earlier said the republic was hit by all types of weaponry at Kiev’s disposal.
In November-December, President Petro Poroshenko sent to the Ukrainian military a significant amount of weaponry, including heavy artillery systems. Shortly before the conflict escalation, Ukraine’s parliament adopted a law on three mobilization waves in 2015.