DONETSK, January 19. /TASS/. Ukraine is using ceasefire in Donbas for regrouping its army units and their armament, head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) Alexander Zakharchenko said in a statement on Monday.
“I can say with certainty that all the attempts by the Ukrainian troops to reconquer the airport, having revenge upon us for last year’s defeat have failed. The Ukrainian army has suffered tremendous losses. More than 6 infantry and armour attacks were launched on the terminal building. All of them failed. Also, the Ukrainian military were defeated in their attempt to battle through to Donetsk. Unfortunately, the Putilovsky Bridge was blown up. The entire convoy engaged in the breakthrough operation was destroyed. Three armour crewmen were captured,” Zakharchenko said.
According to the DPR head, Ukraine is using the ceasefire to arm itself, create a well-coordinated combat unit. “Now we can see very well that Ukraine has broken the armistice and attacked. We have never seen such intensive shelling attacks as in the last two days. Ukraine has opened fire on houses and civilians: children, aged people, women. It uses combat aviation. Ukraine bombed Gorlovka yesterday evening. A representative of the Co-ordination centre came under fire. Shell fragments hit even the OSCE mission building in Donetsk,” he added.