Russian defense minister: India’s SCO accession opens up new prospects for cooperationMilitary & Defense June 23, 13:19
Russia and India to hold first combined forces drills in fallMilitary & Defense June 23, 13:14
Serbian president confident EU accession will not aggravate relations with RussiaWorld June 23, 13:14
Press review: Reinforcements from Asia possible in Syria and Russia mulls data leak woesPress Review June 23, 13:00
2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia is 'so far, so good' — Germany’s Emre CanSport June 23, 11:24
NHL says Olympic participation matter closedSport June 23, 11:12
Russia’s telecom watchdog may block Telegram messenger in RussiaBusiness & Economy June 23, 9:15
Russian warships fire Kalibr cruise missiles, destroy IS arms depots in SyriaMilitary & Defense June 23, 9:07
Kazakh foreign minister denies talks on sending troops to SyriaWorld June 23, 8:05
MOSCOW, January 15. /TASS/. A Russian Emergencies Ministry aircraft on Thursday brought to Moscow two children wounded in Donbass (Donetsk and Lugansk regions in eastern Ukraine), the ministry told TASS.
“At about 22:00 Moscow Time (1900 UTC), the ministry's An-148 plane landed in the Domodedovo Moscow Airport,” the statement said. The aircraft carried two children injured in shellings of Donbass, as well as a woman with burns from Chechnya.
Over 4,000 people have lost their lives and hundreds of thousands have fled Ukraine’s southeast as a result of clashes between Ukrainian troops and local militias in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions during Kiev’s military operation, conducted since mid-April 2014, to regain control over the breakaway territories, which call themselves the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s republics (DPR and LPR), according to UN data.
A ceasefire was agreed upon at talks between the parties to the Ukrainian conflict mediated by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) on September 5 in Belarusian capital Minsk two days after Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed his plan to settle the situation in the east of Ukraine.
Numerous violations of the ceasefire, which took effect the same day, have been reported since.
A memorandum was adopted on September 19, 2014 in Minsk by the Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine comprising representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the OSCE. The document outlined the parameters for the implementation of commitments on the ceasefire in Ukraine laid down in the Minsk Protocol of September 5.
The nine-point memorandum in particular envisioned a ban on the use of all armaments and withdrawal of weapons with the calibers of over 100 millimeters to a distance of 15 kilometers from the contact line from each side. The OSCE was tasked with controlling the implementation of memorandum provisions.
A "day of silence" in eastern Ukraine began at 09:00 a.m. local time (0700 GMT) on December 9. It was seen as another attempt by both parties to the intra-Ukrainian conflict to put an end to hostilities. Both Kiev and the self-proclaimed republics voiced the necessity to start withdrawal of heavy armaments, swap prisoners and demilitarize the region.
The situation in the region recently deteriorated when a passenger bus bound from Donetsk to Zlatoustovka was shelled on January 13. Twelve civilians were killed and 16 wounded.