Russian experts create "smart foil" for mounting transducersScience & Space October 27, 13:54
Caspian Flotilla ships return from long-distance voyageMilitary & Defense October 27, 13:33
Russian senator urges probe into children death in Syria’s IdlibRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 27, 13:32
Putin awards Emir Kusturica with Order of FriendshipSociety & Culture October 27, 13:20
Moscow court upholds arrest of Ukrainian accused of spyingWorld October 27, 13:18
UN-OPCW report on Syrian chemical attacks 'gives no ground for sanctions'Russian Politics & Diplomacy October 27, 13:00
Press review: Russia-US jointly freeing Raqqa and falling alcohol importsPress Review October 27, 13:00
Launch of Soyuz MS-03 space vehicle to ISS postponed till Nov 17Science & Space October 27, 12:18
Russia plans to test elements of new nuclear engine on ISSScience & Space October 27, 12:07
KIEV, January 2. /TASS/. Executives of the Ukrainian TV channel Inter have issued a statement saying they believe the charges spearheaded at them in connection with the New Year night’s show that featured Russian entertainers are groundless and the whole criticism over the programming for small hours of January is little more than an attempt to wield pressure on the channel.
“TV channel Inter states hereby that all the requirements of Ukrainian legislation were observed in the process of drafting the schedule for the New Year night,” the statement said.
“They were observed unconditionally both in the process of creating our own project ‘Wait for Me in the New Year’ and while we put on air the shows produced by other companies,” it said.
Ukrainian media said earlier Inter relayed on the New Year’s night a show from a Russian TV channel that included slots by entertainers, who had voice public support for the Russian government’s position on the crisis in Ukraine.
Kiev politicians offered a rancorous reaction to the fact.
Culture Minister Vyacheslav Kirilenko twittered about plans to file a request with the government to suspend Inter’s programming.
“I’ll make a proposal to the government to suspend transmission of Inter’s signal by the state corporation RRT,” he wrote adding that his initiative would target any channels airing the performances by Russian entertainers.
“To put it in plain language, the tower at Syrets /the Kiev television tower - TASS/ may take Inter off the air,” Kirilenko added.
Earlier on the same day, Alexander Turchinov, the diehard secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council demanded that the channel be stripped of the broadcasting license for putting the Russian show on air in Ukraine.
He urged the national broadcasting board to consider the issue immediately, since he perceived Inter’s action as “an element of the information was conducted against own homeland.”
“Critical remarks addressed to Inter are devoid of substance and grounds,” the channel’s statement said. “We consider them as a provocation and an instance of political pressure on the media.”
“Judging from the contents of many statements, their authors didn’t watch our programmes, as they cite overtly unverified facts and libelous information,” Inter executives said.