KHARKIV, November 24. /TASS/. Wreckage recovered from Malaysia’s MH17 flight crashed in eastern Ukraine in July will be sent to the Netherlands by motor transport, the Dutch side decided on Monday after a meeting with top officials of Ukraine’s Kharkiv region and investigators.
Currently, the fragments of the ill-fated plane are kept at a Kharkiv-based plant. “The biggest fragments will be cut in smaller parts before sending to the Netherlands,” Kharkov governor Igor Baluta told journalists.
He said the MH17 wreckage had arrived in Kharkiv in a train of twelve cargo carriages. However larger parts had been brought here by motor transport — by a convoy of five heavy duty trucks, he said, adding that a refrigerator car had brought fragments of bodies of the MH17 passengers that would be taken to the Netherlands by air on November 28.
So far, there is no information on when the MH17 fragments are to be sent to the Netherlands.
The operation to collect fragments of the crashed plane started on November 16. Specialists managed to remove as many fragments as possible in cooperation with the OSCE and the local service, despite the difficult security situation, he said.
The Boeing 777-200 of the Malaysia Airlines en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur crashed on July 17 in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk Region, some 60 km (over 37 miles) from the Russian border, in the zone of combat operations between the Donetsk self-defense forces and the Ukrainian army. All the passengers and crewmembers onboard the aircraft — 298 people — died. Most of the passengers — 196 people — were Dutch citizens.
The Dutch Safety Board, leading the investigation, plans to partly reconstruct the plane in the Netherlands in order to more thoroughly investigate the causes of the tragedy.