BRUSSELS, November 17. /TASS/. The EU countries are not ready to continue the sanctions war with Russia, according to statements made by EU foreign ministers on Monday.
The ministers are becoming more and more convinced in the inefficiency of sanctions and the need to build up a dialogue.
EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini reiterated her last week’s statement saying the EU sanctions would not work on their own.
The sanctions should be accompanied by the reforms in Ukraine and the dialogue with Russia that must be reset, she said.
French Secretary of State for European Affairs Harlem Desir said stabilization in Ukraine was possible only on the basis of the dialogue inside the country and with Russia.
It is necessary to return to the diplomatic settlement and give up confrontation, he said.
It is necessary for all parties to comply with the Minsk agreements. The EU remains committed to providing full support to Ukraine, Desir said.
The EU efforts should be aimed at ensuring the compliance with the ceasefire agreement with respect of Ukraine’s territorial integrity, he said.
Irish Foreign Minister Charles Flanagan said the ministers would discuss the expansion of the blacklist for Russia and Ukraine.
There is no military solution to the crisis in Ukraine. It is necessary to continue political efforts and put pressure, including purposeful sanctions against individuals, he said.
In terms of support for the reforms in Ukraine Brussels and Kiev signed an agreement on the status of the EU Advisory Mission (EUAM). The mission will deal with carrying out reforms of Ukraine’s internal security sector. The agreement was signed by Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin and EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini.