TOKYO, October 26. /TASS/. North Korean authorities made public a decision that all foreigners arriving from Ebola-hit regions should be put under quarantine, the Japanese Kyodo news agency said on Saturday.
The news agency said that all diplomatic missions in North Korea had been notified.
All travellers arriving in North Korea will have to stay in isolation for three weeks under medical supervision as the Ebola virus has up to 21-day incubation period.
North Korean authorities on Thursday made public a decision to close entry for foreign tourists in the wake of the spread of the Ebola virus disease /EVD/. Reports in the Japanese media said the ban was to go in effect as of Friday.
It was not known at the time of reporting how long the ban would remain effective but the authorities in Pyongyang said it would embrace all the foreign tourists regardless of their nationality.
Earlier, a state council was established in North Korea to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus. Simultaneously, emergency health centres started operating in all provinces, towns and localities of the country in an attempt to “make a swift diagnosis and take response measures.”
The World Health Organisation (WHO) increased its Ebola death toll tally to 4,922 on Saturday, putting the number of infected people at 10,141.
Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone are the hardest hit by the deadly virus, with 10,114 people infected there and 4,912 deaths recorded.
An epidemic of the Ebola virus disease is raging in Central and West Africa as neither a drug to treat infected people nor a vaccine to protect those ‘at risk’ groups are known so far. Vaccines are under development in a number of countries at present.
The Ebola virus can be transmitted from person to person through a direct contact /through injured skin or mucous membranes/ or with objects contaminated with the virus. The Ebola virus disease, previously known as the Ebola hemorrhagic fever, is a severe illness in humans, often fatal, according to the WHO.