TBILISI, October 23. /TASS/. International legal advisers of the Georgian Chief Prosecutor’s Office said on Thursday it was necessary to continue criminal prosecution of Georgian ex-president Mikheil Saakhashvili and former interior minister Vano Merabishvili over an assault on lawmaker Valery Gelashvili in July 2005. The case should be taken to court, they said.
An international group of legal advisers of the Georgian Chief Prosecutor’s Office was created in July. The group included Sir Geoffrey Nice (United Kingdom) and Moshe Lador (Israel) and former director of the US Department of Justice Organized Crime and Gang Section Paul Caffrey.
On August 5, the Georgian Chief Prosecutor’s Office accused Saakashvili and Merabishvili of organizing an assault on lawmaker Valery Gelalishvili, who was brutally beaten on July 14, 2005 in the country’s capital of Tbilisi.
Prosecutors claim that in June of 2005 “Saakashvili ordered then-Defense Minister Irakly Okruashvili to make an exemplary punishment of Valery Gelalishvili, who earlier in an interview with a local newspaper expressed dissatisfaction with his property’s confiscation and spoke about Saakashvili’s private life in an insulting manner”.
Saakashvili left Georgia several days before his term expired. He lives in the USA. Previously, Saakashvili visited Ukraine, Poland and other countries several times.
Merabishvili was arrested in Tbilisi in July 2013. Now he is in custody.