VIENNA, October 14. /TASS/. Monitors of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) keep registering cases when artillery is used in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in Ukraine’s embattled east, the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) said in a daily report for October 12 published Monday.
“On 12 October, about 18km north-west of Debaltseve, the SMM observed several artillery rounds hitting the ground some 10km north of its location. The SMM continued towards Debaltseve and heard constant heavy artillery fire, which appeared to be consistent with a D30 Howitzer, however, the SMM could not ascertain its origin,” the report said.
“On 11 October the SMM visited Popasna (85km west of Luhansk), controlled by Ukrainian forces, and whilst speaking to the local population at one of the city’s markets, it heard shelling lasting for 10 minutes, and involving about 12 shells,” it said.
“Some of those present at the scene told the SMM that the shelling was outgoing from Ukrainian positions close to Popasna, an assessment consistent with the SMM’s observations. Other local inhabitants told the SMM that they are extremely concerned by the frequent incoming and outgoing shelling around Popasna,” the report said.
“The SMM visited the village of Krasnogorovka (28km west of Donetsk), controlled by Ukrainian forces, to follow up on information received from the mayor’s office on 10 October, referring to alleged shelling of the village. The SMM inspected the site and found traces of 8 impacts consistent with incoming 'Grad' shelling,” it said.
The SMM also established that Krasnogorovka has received water supply since July.
“On 11 October the SMM visited the town of Starobeshevo (40km south-east of Donetsk) where it observed one 'Uragan' type unexploded missile stuck in the ground between the street and pavement, with the impact area around 8 meters away from an administrative building hosting the village council,” the report said.
Local dwellers told the SMM the missile had been de-activated by demining experts provided by the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR).
DPR Prime Minister Alexander Zakharchenko last Saturday reported that in coordination with the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic (LPR), the so-called “silence regime” was imposed from October 11. “After that, hardware will be withdrawn under OSCE control,” he said.
Earlier, first deputy prime minister of the DPR Ravil Khalikov said an agreement was reached with Kiev on a demarcation line.
According to the UN, some 3,500 people have been killed and hundreds of thousands have fled Ukraine’s war-torn south-east as a result of clashes between Ukrainian troops and local militias in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions during Kiev’s military operation to regain control over the breakaway territories, which call themselves the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics.