SEOUL, October 13. /TASS/. South Korean President Park Geun-hye said on Monday the door will remain open for negotiations with Pyongyang but warned of harsh response to North Korea’s provocations.
"The two Koreas must continue dialogue to reduce tensions and establish peace on the Korean Peninsula," the Kyodo news agency quoted Park as saying at the meeting of a committee on preparations for potential unification with North Korea.
The statement comes amid new tensions after North and South Korea exchanged fire across their land border last week. The incident came as a group of South Korean activists launched propaganda balloons across the border. No casualties were reported.
On October 4, a senior North Korean delegation paid a surprise visit to South Korea to reach a deal on holding a second round of high-level dialogue later this month or in the beginning of November.
The South Korean military said Monday it has deployed additional weapons to the islands in the Yellow Sea to deal with possible North Korea’s attacks and attempts to occupy the border islands.
The military has also devised a timetable on how to respond to North Korea's provocations.