According to diplomats, these facilities weren't initially declared by Damascus. They said that three of the facilities are for research and development and one is for production, and that no new chemical agents are associated with the four sites. Thus, the number of the facilities that are yet to be destroyed has reached 16. The US ambassador to the UN, Samantha Power, has criticised Damascus for concealing part of its chemical weapons program from the international community.
The UN special envoy overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical stockpiles, told the UN Security Council via video link on Tuesday, The Chemical weapon production facilities in Syria are planned to be destroyed by the summer of 2015.
“The operation is delayed. The first facility is planned to be destroyed in November, and the whole operation is to be completed in summer next year. We have difficulties so far with finding a company that would do all this,” a TASS source at the UN headquarters said.
The joint UN-OPCW mission for Syria’s chemical disarmament said all 1,300 tons of declared chemical weapons have been removed, and attention now turns to destroying Syria’s chemical weapon facilities.
The joint UN-OPCW mission formally completed its work on September 30. All chemical warfare agents and their components have been destroyed by that time. However, 12 facilities for the production of chemical weapons that include hangars and underground tunnels remain in Syria.