UNITED NATIONS, October 8. /TASS/. The Chemical weapon production facilities in Syria are planned to be destroyed by the summer of 2015, Sigrid Kaag, the UN special envoy overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical stockpiles, told the UN Security Council via video link on Tuesday.
A UN diplomatic source told TASS that she also said the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) also faced difficulties with finding a contractor for the operation.
“The operation is delayed. The first facility is planned to be destroyed in November, and the whole operation is to be completed in summer next year. We have difficulties so far with finding a company that would do all this,” a TASS source at the UN headquarters said.
The joint UN-OPCW mission for Syria’s chemical disarmament has said all 1,300 tonnes of declared chemical weapons have been removed, and attention now turns to destroying Syria’s chemical weapon facilities.
The joint UN-OPCW mission formally completed its work on September 30. All chemical warfare agents and their components have been destroyed by that time. However, 12 facilities for the production of chemical weapons that include hangars and underground tunnels remain in Syria.