Italian Prime Minister Renzi officially resignsWorld December 08, 1:27
43 ceasefire violations reported in Syria in 24 hours ― Russian Defense MinistryWorld December 08, 1:16
One reconciliation agreement signed in Syria in 24 hours ― Russian Defense MinistryWorld December 08, 0:26
Lavrov confirms to Kerry Russia backs US proposal on Aleppo from December 2Russian Politics & Diplomacy December 07, 23:57
Russia has never imposed its decisions on Syria, Assad saysWorld December 07, 23:45
Rosneft privatization deal is completed — KremlinBusiness & Economy December 07, 21:06
Contact Group focuses on demining, creation of new security zones in Donbass — OSCE envoyWorld December 07, 20:57
Russian Defense Ministry reports 70% of eastern Aleppo under control of Syrian armyWorld December 07, 20:21
Moscow slams Polish FM's remarks on NATO-Russia Council meeting — sourceRussian Politics & Diplomacy December 07, 20:12
The measles campaign was organized by the Syrian opposition forces - the so-called interim government, created by the National Coalition for Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces.
“UNICEF and WHO have been shocked and saddened to learn of the deaths of at least 15 young children in Idlib, Syria. The deaths of the children occurred in areas where a measles immunisation campaign had been under way,” the statement says.
“For as long as the facts remain unclear, the suspension of the immunisation campaign in both Idlib and Deir Ezzour provinces is a wise step,” the statement says.
According to the WHO and UNICEF, “However, it is vital that immunisation efforts against measles - a disease which is a leading killer of children worldwide - resume as soon as possible. Measles is a particular threat to children who have been displaced from their homes and communities, and who are living in camps or other insanitary conditions.”
The Al Mayadeen TV channel claimed that not 15, but 40 children that were under two years of age, died, developing severe poisoning symptoms following the immunisation shot.