Currency converter
News Feed
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Number of casualties in East-Ukrainian conflict up to 3,100, another 8,000 wounded

September 16, 2014, 4:52 UTC+3 GENEVA
Material has 1 page

GENEVA, September 16. /ITAR-TASS/. Number of casualties in the eastern Ukrainian Donetsk and Lugansk regions has grown to 3,100 since the beginning of April. At the same time, more than 8,000 people have been wounded, says a report by the UN Humanitarian Coordination Office.

Specifically, the document says no less than 3,171 persons have been killed, including 27 children, and another 8,061 persons have wounded. The latter figure includes 56 children.

The number of internally displaced persons compelled to leave their homes in the Lugansk and Donetsk regions because of an armed standoff between the pro-Kiev forces and the East-Ukrainian self-defence units has grown to 263,000 and another 366,900 Ukrainians have fled to neighboring countries, of them 325,900 to Russia.

The report reflects the data gathered by September 11.

In the meantime, UN officials have admitted in the past that the real figures are far bigger and the number of refugees has exceeded a million people, while many internal migrants refrain from obtaining official registration. As for the data on refugees, the figures reflect only those who have applied to the agencies of power officially for getting a refugee status.

In contrast, Russia’s Federal Migration Service says more than 814,000 citizens of Ukraine have arrived from Ukraine since the beginning of the year.

The Humanitarian Coordination Office says that the ceasefire declared September 5 is observed on the whole although separate encroachments on it are reported on a daily basis.

The report states the continuing difficulties with access to the zones of conflict for the majority of humanitarian agencies.

It also says that the overall population of the areas affected by combat actions stands at around 5.1 million.

August 14, the UN issued an appeal to donors to allocate $ 33.3 million for humanitarian operations in Ukraine. UN officials confess that the situation has deteriorated significantly since then and the demand for aid has grown - with no impact on the size of contributions.

At the moment, only 21% of the required amount has been raised.

Показать еще
In other media