“A video conference on the prisoners’ problem was scheduled for Wednesday night but the Ukrainian side made contact with us several hours after the appointed time,” the source said. “Their explanation was they had failed to identify six prisoners entered in the list and that’s why they asked for a pause.”
The next round of consultation is expected Thursday afternoon.
Kiev’s conduct put on alert the representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Ukrainian authorities insist that the exchange of prisoners should be accompanied by a full-blown legal procedure, which will take no less than two weeks.“By mentioning the full-blown legal procedure they mean a search for prisoners all across Ukraine because many of them are kept not only in Kiev’s detention centers, and then the delivery of each prisoner to the courtroom,” the source said.
President Petro Poroshenko tweeted last night that he had received a report on the release of six POWs from the eastern city of Gorlovka and another twenty prisoners from Donetsk.
He told a government session Wednesday afternoon that about 700 servicemen had been freed from detention in eastern Ukraine as of the moment the current ceasefire had been announced.