DONETSK, August 14. /ITAR-TASS/. At least two civilians have been killed in the Ukrainian army’s shelling of Donetsk, the city council said on Thursday.
The shells hit residential buildings and shopping centers in the city’s Kuibyshevksy district, the local administration said.
The local news agency Novorossiya reported on Thursday that the Ukrainian army had fired over 20 shells at the city, killing nine civilians.
A total of 74 civilians have been killed and another 116 wounded over the past three days as a result of combat operations in the Donetsk Region, the regional administration reported.
Overall, 839 people have been killed and another 1,623 wounded in the Ukrainian army’s military operation in the Donetsk Region since March 1.
Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council earlier reported that 568 Ukrainian servicemen had been killed and another 2,120 wounded as of August 11 in Kiev’s military operation in the country’s east.
Ukraine’s Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk earlier said that there were about 50,000 Ukrainian troops in the conflict area.