TEL AVIV, August 11. /ITAR-TASS/. A second 72-hour ceasefire within a week takes effect in Gaza Strip early Monday. The sides accepted Egypt's proposal to cease fire for three days for a continuation of talks on a lasting settlement of the situation in the region.
"If a ceasefire really takes effect and there are no breaches of the ceasefire regime, the Israeli delegation will head for Cairo to continue talks on a settlement of the situation," a government source in Jerusalem told ITAR-TASS. According to Israeli television, the delegation may return to Cairo on Monday morning.
On Friday, the Israeli army resumed strikes on targets in Gaza in response to rocket attacks on Israel from the Palestinian enclave.
“In response to the resumed rocket attacks on Israel by terrorists from Gaza, we [the army] resumed strikes on terrorist facilities in Gaza,” the press service of the Israeli Defense Army said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the country’s Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon earlier on Friday ordered the army to “retaliate with force” for rocket attacks from Gaza. According to the Israeli army, 25 rockets were fired from Gaza at Israel after the 72-hour ceasefire ended at 9am Moscow time on Friday. The cities of Ashkelon and Sderot were attacked.
For nearly three hours, Israel did not respond to rocket fire from Gaza.