TEL AVIV, July 27 /ITAR-TASS/. The radical Palestinian movement Hamas has agreed to the UN proposal on a 24-hour humanitarian truce, Palestinian media reported on Sunday.
According to the media, Hamas will halt fire for 24 hours from 3:00 p.m. Moscow time (11:00 a.m. GMT) on Sunday.
Israel has not yet commented on the Islamic movement’s statement.
The Israeli army resumed strikes on the Gaza Strip three hours ago in response to rocket attacks by Palestinian militants against Israel, the army’s press office said.
“We are resuming air, sea and ground strikes on Gaza facilities due to incessant rocket attacks during the humanitarian truce,” the Israel army’s press office said.
The Israeli Security Cabinet decided on Saturday night to meet the UN request and agree to a 24-hour extension of the 12-hour humanitarian ceasefire, which had started in the Gaza Strip at 09:00 a.m. Moscow time (05:00 a.m. GMT) on Saturday, until 9:00 p.m. Moscow time (5:00 a.m. GMT) on Sunday.
However, Hamas rejected the truce extension and its militants continued to deliver rocket and mortar fire against Israel.
The Israeli army reported that seven rockets had been fired from the Palestinian enclave on Israel on Sunday morning. Two of them were intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome air defense system while the other five exploded on the Israeli territory.
A rocket that exploded in the town of Petah Tikva in central Israel wounded one Israeli citizen. Another three rockets were fired by Hamas militants on Israel on Saturday night.
Mortar fire by Palestinian militants on Saturday killed one and wounded another Israeli serviceman.