PYONGYANG, July 20, /ITAR-TASS/. North Korea has called a farce the United Nations Security Council’s condemnation of short-range missile test launches in that country last week.
The North Korean foreign ministry said in a statement on Sunday that missile test launches, like any other actions of the Korean People’s Army, were carried out for the purposes of self-defence and protection of the country’s sovereignty in conditions of open nuclear threats from the United States. The United Nations Security Council, according to the Korean foreign ministry, is shutting eye to “endless large-scale military drills” conducted by the United States jointly with South Korea in that region, including the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle military exercises.
North Korea thinks unacceptable the position of the United Nations Security Council, which serves the interests of the United States pursuing a hostile policy against Pyongyang, the statement said. In these conditions, North Korea is forces to build up its nuclear potential of deterrence.
The North Korean foreign ministry warned that in case a contingency arises on the Korean Peninsula, responsibility for that would rest with the United States and the United Nations Security Council as a Washington patron.
Members of the United Nations Security Council condemned North Korea’s short-range missile test launches as violating the Council’s resolutions, Rwanda’s permanent representative at the United Nations, the current chairperson-in-office of the United Nations Security Council, said on Thursday. According to the Rwanda representative members of the United Nations Security Council condemned these launches as violating United Nations Security Council resolutions 1718, 1874, 2087 and 2094 and called on North Korea to strictly observe these resolutions, which prohibit Pyongyang to carry out any activity lonked with the development and use of ballasting missiles and nuclear technologies.