PYONGYANG, July 02. /ITAR-TASS/. North Korea has fired two short-range rockets into the East Sea, South Korean Yonhap news agency reported.
Japan’s Kyodo news agency said the rockets flew around 180km. There are no available details whether they were ballistic missiles or missiles launched from the multiple rocket launch system.
On June 29, North Korea launched two ballistic missiles ranged 500-600km from the coastal city of Wonsun. Pyongyang later said the launches were conducted in the framework of ongoing military exercise.
North Korean military on high alert
On June 27, official newspaper of the DRPK Central Committee Rodong Sinmun said the military forces of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DRPK) had been placed on alert.
In particular, the newspaper says that the US “brought numerous sufferings and calamities to the Korean nation by provoking the Korean War of 1950-1953,” referred to as “Fatherland Liberation War” in North Korea.
“There is no justification for the crimes of American imperialists that had been committed during this three-year long armed conflict,” Rodong Sinmun stressed. However, the paper noted that the US “have not learned from their defeat in this conflict and continue to advance hostile to the DPRK policy, remaining an enemy of the Korean people.”
On June 25, mass gatherings were held across North Korea to remember the start of the Korean War. The war ended in a truce in 1953. People reminisced on the deeds of Kim Il Sung who led the North Korean army against the US and their allies.