Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

OSCE official urges Ukrainians to refrain from violence against reporters

June 30, 2014, 19:38 UTC+3 VIENNA
A statement Dunja Mijatovic issued Monday said reporters continued paying the maximum price as they did their job in the zone of conflict
1 pages in this article
A local resident lights a candle in front of photos of Russian TV journalists, killed in Ukraine. On the photos are (L-R) Igor Kornelyuk, Anton Voloshin, both of Vesti 24, killed earlier this month, and Anatoly Klyan (Channel One) killed June 29

A local resident lights a candle in front of photos of Russian TV journalists, killed in Ukraine. On the photos are (L-R) Igor Kornelyuk, Anton Voloshin, both of Vesti 24, killed earlier this month, and Anatoly Klyan (Channel One) killed June 29

© EPA/PHOTOMIG

VIENNA, June 30. /ITAR-TASS/. Following the tragic death of a cameraman of Russia’s Channel One in the much-troubled Donetsk region of Ukraine, the Representative for Freedom of the Media of the European security organization OSCE, Dunja Mijatovic, has urged all the sides to the highly volatile conflict in Ukraine to refrain from violence against journalists.

A letter she sent to Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko Monday said reporters continued paying the maximum price as they did their job in the zone of conflict.

“Members of the media continue to pay the highest price possible,” Mijatovic wrote in a letter today to the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko. “I fully understand the difficult situation in Ukraine and the fact that the national authorities do not control parts of the territory controlled by separatists in the eastern part of the country, but once again I call on all parties in this conflict to respect media freedom and refrain from any violence against members of the media,” Mijatovic said.

She expressed condolences to Klyan’s family and fellow-journalists.

Cameraman Anatoly Klyan, 68, who had worked for Channel One for forty years died Monday night in the area of a military base where he was traveling in a bus together with a group of mothers of Ukrainian conscripts seeking to bring their sons - many of them teenage boys - back home.

The bus came under gunfire near Avdeyevka, a township on the outskirts of Donetsk.

“With Klyan’s death, the death toll of journalists killed in eastern Ukraine has increased to five. I urge the authorities to swiftly and thoroughly investigate the circumstances of Klyan’s death and all other deadly attacks on journalists, and to hold those responsible accountable,” Mijatovic said.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама