At least 48 people killed in attack at police college in PakistanWorld October 25, 3:50
Patriarch Kirill I to hold major news conference as part of Orthodox media festivalSociety & Culture October 25, 3:12
Medvedev to hold session of Presidential Council on Strategic Development on TuesdayRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 25, 1:49
Moldovan court issues warrant for arrest of opposition figureheadWorld October 25, 1:33
Ukraine’s prosecutor general seen as possible successor to President Poroshenko — MPWorld October 25, 0:23
51 ceasefire violations reported in Syria in past day — Russian reconciliation centerWorld October 24, 23:32
Two Ukrainian cities support initiative for broader status of Russian languageWorld October 24, 23:31
Russian Baltic Fleet’s training ship Smolny ends its visit to GreeceMilitary & Defense October 24, 21:23
Diplomat: US needs alleged attack on Russian ministry website to hype up cyberwar topicRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 24, 21:03
KRAMATORSK, June 21, /ITAR-TASS/. Women and children are leaving the city of Kramatorsk despite President Poroshenko’s unilateral ceasefire in Eastern Ukraine, a spokesman for the local self-defence forces told Itar-Tass on Friday.
He added that the militias in Kramatorsk did not believe in the ceasefire announced by President Poroshenko earlier on Friday and think that the fire would soon be resumed.
“The city was again shelled last night. It has been quiet and calm since (Friday) morning until now. However, no one believes that the ceasefire will yield any fruits,” the spokesman said, adding the militias had enough forces to defend the city.
A unilateral ceasefire announced by Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko earlier on Friday came into force in Eastern Ukraine at 23:00 Moscow time, Poroshenko’s press service reports.
The ceasefire in Eastern Ukraine will last from 22:00 (23:00 Moscow time) on June 20 until 10:00 (11:00 Moscow time) on June 27.
However, “the military will be given the right to open return fire if Ukrainian army units or peaceful civilians are attacked,” Poroshenko said in his decree.
Poroshenko announced unilateral ceasefire in Eastern Ukraine during a visit to Svyatogorsk, located 15 kilometers to the north of Slavyansk in the Donetsk region, earlier on Friday. He ordered all Ukrainian army units fighting in the country’s southeast and the border guards to cease fire until June 27.
Poroshenko said that the ceasefire was designed to enable the Kiev authorities’ foes to lay down arms. He warned that those who would refuse to do that would be destroyed, Ukraine’s Interior Ministry wrote on its website.
The Ukrainian president warned that during the ceasefire the Ukrainian troopers would be given the right to return fire if Ukrainian army units or civilians were attacked.
Ukraine’s acting president, Alexander Turchinov, announced the start of an army operation in Eastern Ukraine on April 7, 2014.