ROME, May 25. /ITAR-TASS/. The Italian authorities have not yet confirmed that an Italian journalist was shot dead in a mortar attack near Slavyansk on May 24. The Italian Foreign Minister is checking the information through the Italian embassy in Kiev, the Foreign Ministry’s press service told Itar-Tass on Sunday.
The Italian national’s death was not confirmed to the ANSA news agency either. Earlier media reports said that Italian reporter Andres Roccelli, his interpreter and a French journalist came under mortar fire in the south of the city of Slavyansk surrounded by Ukrainian military. According to Italian sources, the reporter could have been wounded.
The 30-year-old Roccelli has a rich service record. He has worked in Algeria, Afghanistan and Libya.
Both Italian diplomats and representatives of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) who are staying in Ukraine are involved in a search for the missing Italian reporter.
Meanwhile, the French journalist who was wounded in the thigh was taken to hospital. He left it himself after his wound had been bandaged.