Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Floods claim 16 lives in Bosnia and Herzegovina, police report

May 18, 2014, 5:25 UTC+3 BELGRADE
So far, the death toll - nine people - has been highest in Doboj, a city in northern Bosnia and Herzegovina
1 pages in this article
© EPA/FEHIIM DEMIR

BELGRADE, May 18 /ITAR-TASS/. The flood-stricken Bosnia and Herzegovina officially confirmed the death of 16 people on May 17, Gojko Vasic, the head of police department in the Serbian Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, told a news conference in Banja Luka on Saturday.

He expected more bodies to be found when the waters started to decrease.

So far, the death toll - nine people - has been highest in Doboj, a city in northern Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was isolated from the rest of the world for three days. It is still without electricity and some of its neighborhoods can be reached only by boat. More than 6,000 people have been evacuated in Bosnia and Herzegovina by now.

Bosnia and Herzegovina’s demining center has warned that floods and mudslides could displace minefields and bring mines and shells hidden on riverbeds to the surface.

“We are closely watching the situation and asking people not to panic if they see a shell appear from the ground,” Sasa Obradovic, the center’s spokesperson, said, advising people to immediately turn to mine disposal experts for help.

More than 500,000 people out of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s population of almost 4 million people live in areas filled with mines left over from the 1992-1995 Bosnian war and run daily risks of blowing themselves up on these unexploded mines.

According to the Bosnian demining center, about 220,000 mines are still lying beneath on the country’s territory.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама